Friday, July 20, 2012

Crunch Time is HERE!

Harry Plumbley in all his glory
With less that 30 hours before we start shooting, I can feel the stress levels rising.  First of all, I have been struggling for weeks trying to get the insurance for the shoot in order to get the permits needed.  I thought I had given plenty of time, but with nearly a month of constant phone calls (the insurance agent probably hates me by now), the paper work finally came through.  Thursday morning!  Luckily, the Austin Film Commission is on top of their game.  I was dreading another set of delays.  But as soon as I emailed Sonia, I had the permit within an hour.  PHEW!  That was a relief.

But that's just a little part of the craziness that needs to get done before we shoot.  Our costumes are not quite done yet.  I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that they are done in time for the shoot.  I gave the job to Harry Plumbley, my cowriter and one of the producers, who has made tabards before and has been playing the game this web series is based on for over 25 years.  We just need the finishing touches since I spent about 11 hours with Heather Guckian, to whom I might owe my life, as she sewed away making 8 tabards for me.  This girl is a rockstar.  She has 3 kids and a husband who is just as big a kid as I am.  Yet, she still managed to take the time to help me out.  Thank you, Heather!
Heather "The Wondermom" Guckian

I just have to trust they will get done in time.  I have other things to worry about.  I got the call sheets made and started on the shooting schedules.  I've always hated having to organize schedules.  And I wish I was good enough to "wing it".  But I am working with crew and actors I've not worked with before and we're gonna have to cover six pages a day.  Therefore, "winging it" is not an option.  I didn't realize before but I've got eight actors in about half the scenes!  Granted they almost act as background in some of the scenes, but that realization sideswiped me.  But there is a plan that I think is doable now.  And that's why we schedule the shots. 

I've been back and forth with people trying to find reasonably priced lunch for the crew and actors.  It's not a big crew so having someone cater to us is out of the question.  It's just not worth the expense.  If this were a 50+ crew it would be a no brainer.  But we're on a tight budget and I don't want to throw bologna and cheese sandwiches at the actors for lunch.  Not that that ever crossed my mind of course.  Well, it may have been talked about, but that's not worth mentioning.  Especially to the actors.  However, with our budget there are not many choices.  After talking to a few establishments we decided to go with  Freebirds on Saturday.  I would like to do BBQ on Sunday, but that is still up in the air.  I need to take another look at my pockets.

The most important thing on set is not the talent, or the crew, or the equipment, or location.  None of that.  The single most important thing to have on set is food!!  A fed crew is a happy crew.  So, I splurged a little today at Sam's Club buying food for crafty.  I may have gone a little over budget, but I really want to make sure we don't run out of snacks on set.  Though I am a little nervous, because I could not find Red Vines!  I guess Twizzlers will have to do.

The highlight of today had to be the brief rehearsal I had with Wesley Scott and Ivy Koehler.  We basically had a little chat about characterization and story.  Then went over a scene a few times and saw it begin to take form and evolve.  That's always a pleasure to watch.  After that, we took a few foam swords, I put the swords in their hands and told them to start beating on each other.  It looked like they were having fun, then again, they are actors and I'm sure they left thinking to themselves: "What have I gotten myself into?"  Or "What a dork!"  But I had fun and that's all that matters.  As a girl once asked me, "Who are you gonna please with that thing?"  And I answered, "Myself, of course"

So, with less than 30 hours before go time, here's what I've got to do.
  • Finish this blog, this way too long blog.  If I had more time, I'd write a shorter one.
  • Get all the props together.  Swords, shields, duffel bag, Big Gulp cup, safety goggles, and probably a few more things I will forget about.
  • Pick up equipment tomorrow.  Actually, I had already forgot about that.  Let me go write that down somewhere ...  ...  ...  ...  Ok I'm back.
  • Finish the shooting schedule.
  • Pick up the tabards:  finished or not.  Just kidding, of course they will be ready!  Right?  Harry?  Hello?
  • Print out the sides and send out call sheets
  • Probably shower at some point (that's optional, I guess)
  • Charge the camera batteries and find a lighter adapter so I can charge the batteries on set as needed
  • Set my alarm
  • Print out talent releases
  • Do the hokey-pokey and turn myself around.  That's what it's all about
And on that note, I will go to bed.  Again, I just want to thank everyone for all the hard work they've put into this project so far.  I wish I had a better way of showing my appreciation and gratitude.  But I'm broke, so you'll have to settle for a million thank you's


1 comment:

  1. Great job everyone! Let's keep building on everyone's awesomeness. Than you...all of you.

    ReplyDelete